Favorite HBR "Imagining the Future of Leadership" Post #3 (How to Fix Leadership Talent Shortages)
Susan Ashford and Scott DeRue reveal that one in four corporate training dollars are spent on leadership deveopment ($12B dollars in total) and yet nearly 2/3 of firms are experiencing leadershp talent shortages that are impeding their performance. Something needs to shift.
They call for focusing development on five areas:
- Helping people learn leadership from life experiences (a related paper penned by sames authors, Power to the People, is here)
- Cultivating leadership principles, not just skills
- Rewarding leadership development
- Expanding leadership development to all parts of the workforce
- Simplicity – employees need to know what leadership skills, comptencies and attributes really matter and focus on those.
Note: The entire six-week Harvard Business Review blog series can be